Sybase DBA / Unix Administrator / Programmer
Provided Sybase / UNIX expertise to Investment Banking and Asset Management group. Re-evaluated / fine tuned various sybase production servers, provided technical support to Sybase / UNIX developers / users, maintained database contingency. Technologies used included SunOS / Solaris, Sybase 4.x / 10.x SQL Servers, Openservers, Window based clients, PORTIA, SQL-BackTrack, MS Access, vb, C++ applications.
- Maintained database contingency for a 8Gb Sybase production server utilized by Asset Management. The server consisted of various application driven databases namely PORTIA, ADAM, UNITRAC ( vb / C++ ). Wrote shell scripts which utilized SQL-BackTrack to automate database contingency process.
- Developed "Hot Backup and Disaster Recovery" routines for sybase production server. Simulated / benchmarked system failure and dataserver crash to provide "data availability / fault tolerance" ( used RAID level 5, master database replication on high availability server, 'hot backup server' configuration ).
- Fine tuned various application driven sybase dataservers. Used sybase configurable parameters, created user defined segments, spread sybase raw partitions across different controllers, added memory.
- As part of the application development team provided 'back end' support. Tasks included physical design for application driven databases ( vb front end ), views and stored procedures creation, database restoration, database porting along with other DBA duties.
- Performed UNIX Systems Administration duties such as settinp up NIS masters / slaves, backup and disaster recovery, software installation, adding peripherals
- Wrote C routine to parse and extract fields from an ASCII file containing end-of-day trades. The program checked the validity of mandatory fields and exported a tab delimited file to a PC client where it was pulled up as an MS-Excel document.