Project Manager / Principal Embedded Developer - Bierstadt Weatherpod
Created vision for next generation product with improved specifications and 50% reduction in cost based on market opportunity and potential investment return. Generated task plan, budget requirements, schedule, and resource allocation and presented final package to the executive team for approval.
- Lead team to document system requirements, functional blocks and detailed design aspects. Next gen product consolidated three separate controllers into single processor while adding two new wireless communication options, replaced 4 analog sensors with digital upgrades, reduced power requirements by 40% and improve multiple performance measures. Selected hardware components, developed firmware code, brought up the prototypes and drove system qualification.
- Engaged radio vendor to perform engineering upgrade to OEM radio module to add new features, reduce manufacturing costs and reduce power consumption. Negotiated specifications, pricing, and schedule with vendor. Guided design changes and managed vendor interaction resulting in a delivery of new OEM module for existing and future product lines on schedule and within budget.
- Managed and mentored a junior engineer to specify, implement, test and release a firmware update to legacy product adding enhanced capabilities to our ultrasonic anemometer algorithms.
- Lead team to design, specify, build and release a RS485 accessory based on customer needs. Design included mechanical, hardware and firmware design aspects. Managed schedule and interdisciplinary coordination to deliver product under budget and before deadline for the first time in company history.
- Responsible for embedded software architecture, specification, implementation, qualification and release on every new or updated sensor product released by ADSS over a five year period. Created firmware architecture and supporting qualification plans from customer requirements. Coordinated with hardware and mechanical teams on implementation and interface solutions. Released design package to production and supported remote qualification/testing at customer site. Performed remote and onsite CAE/FAE tasks based on customer needs.
- Assumed sole technical lead for WeatherPod firmware after three months of employment. Mastered key aspects of the WeatherPod firmware including MSP430, ATMEGA128L, SX48, and PIC24 microcontrollers, I2C and SPI communications, ultrasonic anemometer, electronic compass, GPS, and 5 mile LOS wireless radio.
- Developed hardware and software designs for digital pressure sensor daughterboard. Drove schematic capture, PCB layout and technical reviews of the hardware design in addition to all firmware related tasks.