Reference Librarian Cover Letter
A reference librarian helps readers identify educational resources and provides research assistance. Typical duties of a Reference Librarian include registering patrons, updating records, maintaining library supplies, removing damaged materials, answering to patron inquiries, replacing returned items, and using library computer software.
A successful cover letter sample for a Reference Librarian usually mentions some of the following qualifications:
- Excellent research capabilities
- Library operations knowledge and understanding of cataloging systems and software
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Organization and planning
- Logical thinking
- Being able to prioritize work
- Problem-solving orientation and resourcefulness
If you are interested in a job as a Reference Librarian, check out the cover letter sample provided below to see how the relevant skills and abilities have been incorporated.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Piscatelli:
I am submitting my enclosed resume for your consideration for the open position of reference librarian at Springfield Public Libraries. As a library sciences professional with more than 11 years of experience, I am confident in my ability to surpass your expectations for this position.
My experience includes serving as librarian-in-charge at Fairfax County Public Libraries, where I supervised five librarians on the central reference desk, as well as assisted patrons of all ages with their library and research needs.
Here are a few highlights of my professional accomplishments:
- Selected materials and managed $15K+ budget for Reference, Young Adult Nonfiction and eResource (including database and eBook) collections
- Increased library usage and circulation by 7% annually through displays, news articles, advertisements and web updates as well as direct outreach to patrons.
- Reviewed and selected new books and other materials for collection development.
- Performed administrative functions including check-in and coding of new materials, order processing, and management of interlibrary loans.
- Trained patrons and staff on how to use e-readers, electronic databases, software, and library catalog.
With my extensive background in library services and support, combined with my education and passion for the important mission that libraries serve, I feel more than ready to exceed the expectations you have for this position. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.Sincerely,Randolph Q. Harris