Public Defender Cover Letter
Public Defenders represent an accused person during investigative procedures. They may often be required to provide representation to clients who are uneducated and uncooperative. Examples of Public Defender responsibilities are maintaining knowledge of law, attending police line-ups, supervising physical examinations, interviewing witnesses, being present during arrests, taking part to pretrial conferences and sentencing hearings, and maintaining regular contact with clients.
A well-written cover letter for Public Defender should mention the following skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge of law
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Mathematical skills
- Reasoning abilities and logical thinking
- A confident manner and persuasion
- Being able to interact with people from all backgrounds
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Being able to work under pressure
- Computer competences
Beneath is provided a Public Defender cover letter sample showcasing relevant abilities for this job.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Public Defender Resume Samples.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Ms. Ribbald:
As a skilled lawyer with proven experience in legal counseling, negotiation, and client representation, I am well prepared to outperform your expectations. With this in mind, I invite your office to consider the enclosed resume as you look to fulfill the Public Defender opening you have available.
My expertise lies in providing comprehensive legal services to clients from diverse backgrounds and situations. With an emphasis on ensuring full legal representation for indigent populations, I have spent my career thus far advocating and securing resources for unrepresented defendants in the Jackson County criminal justice system. My demonstrated success in advising clients on optimal legal planning and strategies—along with my expertise in case research and social work—positions me to make a significant impact on your firm.
My qualifications include the following:
- Representing indigent clients in court and demonstrating proficiency in all civil and criminal trial proceedings throughout 16-year legal career in Jackson County.
- Handling cases from beginning through judgment, including cases involving complex litigation issues such as multiple defendants, technical/scientific evidence, and child and expert testimonies.
- Demonstrating persistence, persuasion, leadership, and superior communication skills to interact effectively with clients and provide an excellent level of service.
- Holding a Juris Doctor degree from Pennsylvania State University.
With my background in providing overarching legal assistance to a wide variety of clients—combined with my inherent understanding of legal contracts, negotiations, and proceedings—I am ready to provide outstanding service within your office. I look forward to discussing this opportunity with you in further detail.
Kenneth H. Pritchett