Proofreader Cover Letter
Proofreaders check text for grammatical errors and typos. These professionals work for newspapers, magazines, publishing houses, and various websites, performing duties such as: correcting errors, providing feedback to authors, making sure texts follow recommended style, checking if illustrations are correctly placed inside the text, locating articles in the archive, designing layout, and promoting their services (for those who are self-employed).
A sample cover letter for Proofreader should mention the following qualifications and abilities:
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills
- English proficiency
- Writing skills
- Attention to details and observation spirit
- Creativity and problem-solving orientation
- Customer service abilities
- Being able to work to deadlines
- Time management
- Computer competences
Similar Proofreader abilities are visible in the example cover letter provided below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Proofreader Resume Samples.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Mr. Martin:
Upon review of your posting for a new Proofreader to join your editorial team, I hastened to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As an accomplished and focused professional with a meticulous attention to detail coupled with extensive experience proofreading a variety of publications and communication vehicles to ensure grammatically flawless content, I feel confident that I could vastly exceed your expectations for this role.
My background comprises more than 11 years of experience editing and proofreading both short- and long-form content prior to publication to detect and remedy errors, position text and images correctly, and eliminate confusing terms. With my proven success—along with my superior communication, time management, and organization skills—I am ready to extend my record of proofreading accomplishments to your company.
Highlights of my experience include the following…
- Proofreading content for publications including direct mail fliers, employer brochures, blog posts, social media content, marketing communications/collateral, presentations, and sales materials while gaining professional training in diverse computer programs such as InDesign, Photoshop, and HTML to facilitate expansion into new media.
- Demonstrating an excellent command of grammar and spelling rules while driving strict adherence to, and consistency with, internal style guidelines, brand voice, and design standards.
- Employing exceptional editing and proofreading skills to generate consistently flawless copy, ensuring expeditious delivery from writing to publication; providing final sign-off on projects before publishing.
- Developing trusting and lasting connections with peers, publication management teams, and community members to facilitate future partnerships.
- Earning a Bachelor of Arts in English from Seattle University, as well as a Graduate Certificate in Editing from the University of Washington.
With my expertise in proofreading content to eliminate errors and ensure an uninterrupted and pleasing reader experience, I am positioned to significantly benefit your editorial team as your next Proofreader. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Carl M. Davidson