Police Chief Cover Letter
Police Chiefs coordinate operations in police departments. Their main areas of responsibility are staffing, budgeting, operations management, and public relations. Essential work duties of a Police Chief are hiring officers, disciplining and appraising staff, overseeing payroll, assigning tasks, preparing budgets, allocating resources, organizing training, making purchases, taking part in larger cases, implementing strategies to combat local problems, and communicating to the public on behalf of the police department.
A well-written example cover letter for Police Chief should focus on the following skills and qualifications:
- Training in public administration and criminal investigation
- Police leadership
- Managerial skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Budgeting skills
- Organization and planning
- Being able to work under pressure
- Computer competences
Candidates interested in a Police Chief career can check comparable abilities and experience in the sample cover letter provided just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Police Chief Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Jackson:
It is with great interest that I submit the enclosed resume in response to your search for a seasoned Police Chief to join the Birmingham Police Department. With more than 20 years of experience in public safety, crime prevention, officer training/management, and program leadership, I am confident I will make an immediate impact upon stepping into this position.
Throughout my professional life, I have leveraged my skills in investigation, patrol, administration, reporting, and community engagement to tackle crime reduction and case management. Having started my career as a Police Officer with the Cambridge Police Department, I quickly moved up the ranks through supervisory positions at the sergeant, lieutenant, and captain levels and acquired experience in departments such as crime, homicide, and narcotics. This progression culminated in my appointment as the Chief of Police for the Cambridge Police Department in 2011, reporting directly to the City Manager and operating under general guidance from the City Commission and Mayor. Furthermore, I possess a steadfast dedication to my work, devoting up to 14 hours a day to pursuing department excellence and remaining on call virtually 24 hours a day. Having now relocated to the Birmingham area, I am prepared to put my background, talents, and commitment to your department’s benefit as your next Police Chief.
Some highlights of my strengths and offerings include the following:
- Targeted evolving priorities as Chief of Police—including violent crime and gun violence reduction, gang operations, community engagement/relations, officer recruitment and training, budgeting, and technology/equipment upgrades—while overseeing the Cambridge Police Department staffed by 28 employees and operating with an annual budget of ~$2.3M.
- Oversaw operations encompassing Records/Evidence, Personnel and Human Resources, Research/Crime Analysis, Facilities Management, Criminal Investigations, Public Information, and Patrol Division.
- Instituted professional performance and ethical standards while defining policies for inappropriate conduct and rolling out new policies focused on cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Founded Middlesex County’s M.A.D.D. chapter; reintroduced faltering D.A.R.E. program to achieve measurable improvements.
- Strove to foster, maintain, and elevate relationships with the community.
- Multilingual with fluency in Spanish and Italian.
- Dual degrees in Public Administration and Justice Studies from Boston University.
I am confident my background as a highly experienced veteran law enforcement leader will be extremely beneficial to the Birmingham Police Department, and I look forward to leveraging my education and experience to ensure public safety within your jurisdiction. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Lorene B. Caddell