Peer Support Specialist Cover Letter
Peer Support Specialists provide assistance to clients dealing with mental health issues, substance abuse, or psychological trauma. Unlike other professionals in the field, these specialists can cater better to client needs because they also have been through such experiences and managed to recover. Examples of Peer Support Specialist duties are teaching coping techniques and self-help strategies, referring clients to suitable services, building awareness on various issues, and providing emotional support.
Based on our collection of example cover letters for Peer Support Specialist, essential skills for the job are:
- Being able to motivate other people
- An approachable manner
- Mentoring and counseling skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal competences
- Advocating skills
- Organization and planning
Beneath is displayed a cover letter sample for Peer Support Specialist demonstrating similar abilities and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Peer Support Specialist Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Peer Support Specialist, check out our more complete Peer Support Specialist Job Description.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Mr. Brown:
When I learned of your need for a certified Peer Support Specialist, I hastened to submit this letter and the enclosed resume for your review. As a recovered former substance abuser with solid experience serving as a resource, advocate, and supporter for individuals going through similar dependencies/disorders, I am prepared to put my background, challenges, and strengths to the benefit of others and excel in this capacity.
With outstanding interpersonal and communication talents, my abilities and personal experiences have positioned me to thrive in this role. My ability to connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong motivational and leadership capabilities, prepare me to make a strong contribution in this challenging capacity.
Consider the following highlights of my background…
- Recovering from a decade-long struggle with substance abuse and addiction, relying on the help and guidance of mentors and support figures to provide me with the tools, services, and resources necessary to overcome and move past my disorder and pursue a successful and healthy life.
- Mentoring alcohol abusers through AA program referrals, collaborating with families, community resources and providers, and other groups to encourage participants’ sobriety and personal growth.
- Visiting drop-in centers in Oakland and Wayne Counties, assisting individuals in need with various ideas and tools to help them reach their goals of independent living and survival.
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
- Possessing outstanding communication, problem solving, and empathic skills.
With experience in at-risk support and mentoring, coupled with my personal experience with substance abuse and a strong dedication to providing critical assistance to those in need, I believe I could quickly exceed your expectations. The opportunity to discuss your needs in more detail would be welcome.
Thank you for your consideration.
Adam M. Reid