Patent Agent Cover Letter
Patent Agents, also known as Patent Attorneys, prepare, file, and prosecute patent applications on behalf of their clients. Some of the primary duties of Patent Agents include working with clients to help identify problems and determine proper legal strategies, and drafting and submitting non-provisional patent applications and subsequent prosecution documents.
When looking to hire a Patent Agent, prospective employers look for some common key skills in applying candidates. Some of the attributes and proficiencies that applicants should highlight in their cover letters include:
- Have passed the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s Patent Bar exam.
- Registered with the USPTO
- Strong Analytical skills
- Basic computer proficiency
- Good Communication skills
- Attention to detail
Use the example Patent Agent cover letter below as inspiration to craft your own.
Dear Mr. Levy,
Please accept my application for the open Patent Agent position at Lewis and Harmon. I am registered with the USPTO, having completed a degree in Law at University of Virginia College of Law and passed the Patent Bar Certification Exam. In addition to my strong qualification credentials, I have four years of valuable experience as a Patent Agent at Ideation Patents PLLC. With my extensive knowledge of patent court laws, and my excellent communication skills, I will serve your company and clients well.
As a Patent Agent at Ideation Patents, I advised my clients on corporate and intellectual property issues, led contract negotiations on their behalf, and prepared license agreements. My exceptional analytical skills, acute attention to detail and string customer service skills made me very successful in this role.
A few of my professional accomplishments include:
- Evaluated technical and legal aspects of over 300 patent applications. Performed prior art searches to determine patentability of applications. Assisted in drafting and prosecution of patent applications.
- Liaised with inventors and scientists; managed invention / patent programs.
- Arranged and took necessary legal action in patent applications.
- Prepared patentability, validity, and infringement opinions.
I am a motivated and dedicated Patent Agent, and I will work hard to exceed the high standards of Lewis and Harmon and meet your clients needs. I look forward to discussing my candidacy with you in person at your convenience. Thank you for your consideration.
Joyce C. Maynard