Oncology Nurse Cover Letter
Oncology Nurses provide care to patients diagnosed with cancer. This job requires strong nursing skills as well as the emotional strength needed to help those suffering from a serious illness. Typical work duties of an Oncology Nurse include administering chemotherapy, ensuring a supportive environment, informing patients on treatment options, providing emotional support, completing medical records, educating patient families, and updating their job knowledge.
A sample cover letter for Oncology Nurse should focus on the following skills and abilities:
- Nursing expertise
- Clinical skills
- Medical teamwork
- Personal fortitude
- Empathy and a caring personality
- Stamina and resilience to stress
- Attention to details
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy
Those looking to pursue an Oncology Nurse career can check relevant skills and qualifications in the example cover letter provided just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Oncology Nurse Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Oncology Nurse, check out our more complete Oncology Nurse Job Description.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Cress:
As an empathic, patient-centric, and highly skilled Oncology Nurse with more than 16 years of experience providing comprehensive services to cancer patients, I am pleased to present the enclosed resume. My background in supporting patient care allows me to substantially assist the John L. Houston Cancer Center in meeting its care objectives.
My background includes monitoring patient conditions, prescribing medications, administering chemotherapy, and communicating with cross-functional medical teams to coordinate all aspects of quality cancer patient care. Managing chemotherapy/biotherapy side effects, maintaining detailed patient and procedure records, and educating patients and caregivers on treatments and side effects are just a few of many tasks at which I excel, all while consistently providing a superior level of compassionate patient care and support.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Served as an RN in the Oncology Unit of Mercy Hope Hospital for the past 14 years, calculating doses and administering chemotherapy, biotherapy, and blood product treatments in accordance with standard protocols.
- Start and maintain peripheral IVs, implanted ports, and PICC lines; assist physicians in performing various procedures including bone marrow biopsies.
- Chosen to orient, precept, train, and mentor new nurses in hospital procedures and nursing best practices; currently serve as a Chemotherapy Oversight Committee member.
- Prioritize and adjust daily tasks as necessary in alignment with patient needs and unit demands, working collaboratively and effectively with fellow nursing team members.
- Communicate effectively across diverse medical teams and units to ensure optimal documentation and tracking of cancer patient progress and reports.
Confident that my skills and expertise will be of great value to the John L. Houston Cancer Center, I look forward to discussing this opportunity and my qualifications in detail. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to hearing from you.
Erin D. Healy