News Reporter Cover Letter
News Reporters research and write stories for various publications and television channels. A News Reporter is usually specialized in a certain field, like politics, art, science, or business. Specific responsibilities for this role are: interviewing people, collecting data from the field, building contacts, reading press releases, investigating stories, attending press conferences, taking phone calls at the news desk, collaborating with photographers and editors, and uploading news content to websites.
A well-written cover letter sample for News Reporter should focus on the following skills and qualifications:
- English proficiency and excellent writing skills
- An investigative nature
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Stamina and perseverance
- Computer competences
- Integrity and work ethics
- Being able to explain complex issues in an accessible manner
- Self-motivation and determination
Comparable skills and abilities can be seen in the cover letter example provided right below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive News Reporter Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a News Reporter, check out our more complete News Reporter Job Description.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Ms. Rust:
When I learned of your need for a seasoned News Reporter to join your team at KPWM, I was eager to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As a highly experienced, motivated, and detail-focused professional with more than 13 years of experience in television news production and coverage, I feel confident that I could vastly exceed your expectations for this role.
My background in researching ideas, investigating subjects, checking facts, and covering events prepares me to substantially impact and benefit KPWM. With my history of success in covering and producing news for television—along with my commitment to forging beneficial relationships to encourage future connections and stimulate story ideas—I am ready to extend my record of reporting accomplishments to your news team. Furthermore, my ability to excel in high-pressure environments with tight deadlines and irregular schedules is sure to render me an immediate asset.
Highlights of my experience include…
- Achieving professional recognition and success as a News Reporter for WCSJ in Olympia, researching and gathering information for live shots and taped news reports; writing, recording, and editing stories for use on the air.
- Conducting live on-camera interviews, producing weekend newscasts, and contributing to daily editorial meetings.
- Writing breaking news stories for immediate upload and publication to WCSJ’s website and Facebook page.
- Serving as a fill-in news anchor for morning, noon, and evening newscasts as requested.
- Traveling extensively to cover events on site, ensuring a personal understanding and knowledge of event details, occurrences, and overall significance.
- Developing trusting and lasting connections with peers, management teams, and community members to facilitate future partnerships and spark story and contact leads.
- Demonstrating outstanding oral / written communication, time management, and team collaboration skills with a keen social perceptiveness.
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism from the University of Washington.
With my expertise in news production and reporting, combined with my exceptional interpersonal skills and my commitment to exploring innovative story ideas and comprehensive topic coverage, I am positioned to significantly benefit your news team at KPWM. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Rebecca V. Thames