MFT Trainee Cover Letter
MFT trainees, or marriage and family therapist trainees, acquire clinical counseling experience and training in entry-level therapist positions. Working under the supervision of practicing therapists, MFT trainees utilize their advanced degrees coupled with their comprehensive knowledge of therapeutic best practices and techniques to grow their skill sets and amass a healthy client base. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are strong assets to success in this position.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Individual and group counseling
- Behavior management and modification
- Crisis intervention
- Mental health
- Client intake assessments
- Documentation and client records
- Client evaluation and diagnosis
- Individualized treatment planning
- Client goal definition and achievement
- Collaboration with colleagues
Below you will find an example of a cover letter for an MFT trainee highlighting similar abilities, education, and qualifications.
Dear Ms. Woods:
When I learned of your clinic’s opening for a marriage and family therapist trainee, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience in MFT therapy and support gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your clinical team.
My training in providing crucial support and counseling services to individuals, couples, families, and groups has prepared me to excel in this role. Equipped with a recent master’s degree from the University of Michigan, I have completed extensive education and clinical training in a multitude of topics that will enable me to make a strong contribution. With my ability to quickly connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong communication and compassionate cultural awareness skills, I am positioned to thrive and progress in this challenging field.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Offering vital support to adults, seniors, children, adolescents, couples, and families; evaluating, diagnosing, and treating mental health conditions and amassing more than 750 hours of practicum clinical experience in internship and educational capacities
- Demonstrating solid commitment to the field in my graduate academic work; gaining a broad understanding of therapy and counseling topics and completing my degree with a GPA of 3.97
- Completing numerous clinical trainings, including attachment and psychotherapy, anger management, suicide assessment and prevention, domestic abuse prevention, and parenting
- Working collaboratively with colleagues to define client goals, develop treatment plans, complete paperwork, and coordinate various client-facing classes and programs
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and highly stressful situations
- Demonstrating consistently superior communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills, as well as a high degree of empathy and compassion
With my practical experience and education in marriage and family therapy services, complemented by my goal of providing critical assistance to adults and children in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be appreciated.
Thank you for your consideration.
Stewart T. Stone