Mental Health Case Manager Cover Letter
Mental health case managers support clients suffering from mental distress and disturbances stemming from mental health disorders and emotional trauma. Accountable for client treatment and progress, these professionals orchestrate services from a variety of sources – including psychiatrists, welfare agencies, and other service providers – to ensure the most comprehensive and appropriate treatment for each client. Client supervision, routine consultations, and home visits are standard responsibilities in this role. Strong communication, analytical, and empathic skills are required.
Cover letters for this position indicate the following skills and qualifications are significant to mention:
- Treatment planning and implementation
- Client and family consultations
- Individualized Service Plans
- Service referrals
- Documentation and records management
- Crisis intervention
- Client education and skills training
- Relationship building
- Support group facilitation
A sample mental health case manager cover letter highlighting relevant skills and experience follows below.
Dear Mr. Green:
When I learned of your need for a mental health case manager, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience coordinating and leading various social work and mental health support programs in case management roles gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your organization.
With experience and training in supporting at-risk, emotionally distressed individuals suffering from various issues, such as psychiatric disorders, substance abuse, and serious mental health concerns, my background has prepared me to excel in this capacity. My ability to connect with clients and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong communication and collaboration capabilities, position me to thrive in this role.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Serving as a case manager for the last 11 years, managing an annual caseload of 45 clients on average with serious mental health and emotional disturbances
- Providing vital support to at-risk mental health clients, assessing their needs, developing treatment plans, coordinating with ancillary service providers, and completing required case documentation while providing both direct and indirect care to each client
- Writing Individualized Service Plans, outlining client goals and case manager interventions, and reviewing these plans on an ongoing basis to revise and evolve appropriately
- Offering on-call 24/7 crisis intervention services for both clients and their families, interacting with individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations
- Earning a master’s degree in social work and a bachelor of arts in psychology from the University of Minnesota; professional training in managing and adapting practice (MAP) (certified), trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT), suicide prevention, substance abuse, and HIV/AIDS education
With my proven experience and qualifications in mental health case management, complemented by my dedication to providing critical assistance to distressed individuals in need, I believe I can quickly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss this position in further detail would be appreciated.
Thank you for your consideration.
Linda J. Luther