Library Manager Cover Letter
A library manager coordinates everyday operations in a library and is responsible for recruiting and training library employees. Other duties carried out by library managers include optimizing library services, organizing community events, budgeting, implementing library policies, and negotiating services and equipment contracts.
Those interested in a library manager position should showcase some of the following skills in their resumes and cover letters:
- Library management expertise
- Problem-solving skills
- Customer service
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Verbal and written communication skills
Scroll down to find a cover letter example for a library manager demonstrating similar job skills and experience.
Dear Mr. Levy:
I would like to submit my resume to be considered for the open position of library manager at Golden County Libraries. As a highly skilled, educated, and dedicated professional with more than 11 years of experience in library services, including in management positions, I feel confident in my ability to exceed your expectations for this role.
As library manager for eight years at Fulton County Library, I gained valuable experience overseeing daily operations, staff, member services, community events, and budgeting. Prior to that, I served as a staff librarian, after completing my master’s degree in library science. With my successful history of optimizing library services while sticking to budget – along with my superior interpersonal and organization skills – I am ready to go above and beyond for Golden County Libraries.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Managed and led a team of 12 in the day-to-day operations of a branch, including reference, information, circulation, and programming services
- Increased visits by 10% and programming by 50% through marketing and event planning
- Developed and implemented strategies to enhance the library user experience. Created a branch customer service plan and biannual customer service questionnaires, resulting in improved customer service satisfaction and 75% fewer customer complaints
- Provided reference and research services and bibliographic instruction to patrons
- Analyzed metrics, weeding, and marketing techniques to develop and maintain the collection, resulting in a circulation increase of 5%
- Earning an MSLS degree in 2006 from the University of South Dakota
With my track record of success in managing and improving upon complex library operations and services, combined with my passion for providing services to the community, I am positioned to significantly benefit the Golden County Public Library. I look forward hearing from you to discuss my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Margot T. Wallace