Library Clerk Cover Letter
Library Clerks are responsible for helping patrons with finding books and shelving various resources. Essential job functions of a Library Clerk are helping with the location of sources, providing instructions, maintaining media collections, discarding defective items, reserving books, monitoring computer use, taking phone calls, operating office equipment, recommending media, collecting fees, compiling reserved books, placing orders, and completing tasks as assigned by professional librarians.
A successful Library Clerk cover letter sample should focus on the following skills and qualifications:
- Customer service skills
- Being able to interact with the public in a courteous manner
- Computer competences
- Attention to details
- A professional attitude
- The ability to work under pressure
- Effective communication
- Knowledge of books and media resources
Below is presented an example cover letter demonstrating similar abilities and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Library Clerk Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Miller:
Upon review of your posting for a Library Clerk, I hastened to submit my resume for your consideration. As an enthusiastic and educated professional preparing to achieve my degree in Library Science, I feel confident of my ability to outperform your expectations for this role.
My background includes strong volunteer experience with the Multnomah County Library in Portland, performing a range of library responsibilities and public services to support overall functionality and patron satisfaction. With my successful ability to assist library users in research efforts, information acquisition, and materials location—along with my superior interpersonal and organization skills—I am ready to extend my record of excellence with the Burlingame Public Library.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Poised to receive my MSLS degree in 2017 from Portland State University.
- Providing comprehensive support in various library service areas such as reference desk support, circulation, collections, interlibrary loans, registrations, and checkouts.
- Delivering support to library patrons in person and over the phone, helping them with material location, account questions, overdue fines, and renewals.
- Utilizing advanced information technology resources including internal / external databases, digital libraries, remote-access information sources, and the Internet to facilitate library user research and data acquisition.
- Cataloging incoming magazines, organized pamphlets and brochures, and sorting and delivering mail across all departments.
- Organized, analytical, and personable with an outstanding reputation for excellent team collaboration and leadership.
With my solid knowledge of library services and support, combined with my passion for the wealth of information and learning potential that libraries have to offer, I am positioned to significantly benefit your team as your next Library Clerk. I look forward to discussing this opportunity, and my qualifications, in more detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sandra K. Winkler