Investigator Cover Letter
Investigators perform surveillance and research for various clients and organizations. These experts investigate crimes such as assaults, burglaries, frauds, or homicides. Examples of Investigator activities include collecting and bagging evidence, interviewing witnesses, keeping detailed records, ascertaining alibies, sending specimens to the laboratory, processing crime scenes, doing paperwork, and preparing investigative reports. State licensure is usually required for this role.
Based on our collection of cover letter samples for Investigators, essential requirements include:
- Excellent observational skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-confidence needed to present information in court
- Honesty and integrity
- Analytical thinking and a logical approach to work
- Knowledge of law
- Computer literacy
- Perseverance and patience
Beneath is displayed a cover letter example highlighting comparable Investigator skills.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Investigator Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Smith:
When I learned of your department’s need for a seasoned Investigator to join your team, I felt compelled to submit the enclosed resume. As an experienced and analytical professional with 10+ years of experience spearheading evidence collection and management, witness interviews, documentation, and data / trend analysis, I am more than prepared to exceed your expectations for this role.
Throughout my career, I have amassed extensive experience in performing top-flight crime investigations and analyses, leading motivated and productive teams, and generating detailed and accurate reports. My demonstrated success in effectively communicating across internal and external departments—along with my expertise in using databases to extract crucial information—positions me to make a significant impact on your department.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Comprehensive crime scene investigation and management expertise gained during my tenure as an Investigator with the Jacksonville police force; managed case assignments, gathered and preserved evidence, arranged interviews with sources and witnesses, reviewed public databases, and communicated with local law enforcement agencies as well as the US Department of Justice when necessary.
- Hand picked to travel between Florida and New York to provide critical support to other investigative teams.
- Earned distinction as a Subject Matter Expert in voice recognition software.
- Received formal recognition as “Investigator of the Month” on four separate occasions in just three years.
- Achieved a reputation for thoroughness, efficiency, and the ability to quickly build rapport with individuals from diverse backgrounds and situations.
With my deep expertise in performing all facets of case investigation, combined with my inherent interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills, I am ready to provide outstanding service within your department. I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Robert E. Jones