Head Chef Cover Letter
Head Chefs direct food preparation in a restaurant’s kitchen and ensure a high level of customer satisfaction. Typical job duties of a Head Chef include creating menus, coordinating kitchen workers, ordering supplies and ingredients, hiring and training staff, administering payroll, ensuring compliance with food safety standards, scheduling staff shifts, assigning tasks, inspecting dishes before they are delivered to customers, solving patron complaints, and reporting to restaurant managers.
Those interested in a Head Chef position should be able to demonstrate the following skills and qualifications throughout their cover letters:
- Culinary skills
- Kitchen management experience
- Physical strength and stamina
- Problem-solving orientation
- Customer service abilities
- Effective communication
- Knowledge of health and safety standards
- Understanding of relevant computer programs
Similar skills and experience are presented in the example cover letter provided right below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Head Chef Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Mr. Jess:
With this letter and the attached resume, I would like to express my sincere interest in the Head Chef position you have available. As a highly accomplished and results-oriented chef with more than 15 years of experience preparing delectable dishes for top-rated restaurants and private clubs, I possess a range of knowledge and experience that will allow me to contribute toward the success of Gold Plate.
My expertise lies in successfully conceptualizing, developing, and implementing innovative menus to optimize guest satisfaction and retention while leading staff training initiatives and ensuring inventory and cost containment. I excel at overseeing day-to-day kitchen operations with full responsibility for maintaining inventories, purchasing foods, enforcing food hygiene regulations, and assigning schedules and tasks. Additionally, my established ability to create well-received menus for special events positions me to make a significant and positive impact on your restaurant.
The following achievements demonstrate my qualification for this position:
- Propelling culinary excellence within prestigious restaurants, a country club, and a vacation-destination resort, driving outstanding dining experiences while consistently surpassing guest and management expectations and adhering to any necessary dietary restrictions.
- Most recently thriving as the Head Chef at the Rhododendron Grill, with a special focus on developing and preparing special dishes and promotional items using locally grown/sourced and organic products; attaining a 5-star restaurant review from local unflappable food critic Michael Esteban.
- Generating and monitoring budgets for all food outlets, with accountability for P&L performance.
- Hiring, training, supervising, and terminating employees while encouraging ongoing professional training and hands-on kitchen experience to stimulate career development and progression.
- Earning commendation for culinary achievement and excellence while creating dynamic menus for discerning clientele.
- Acquiring a reputation as a collaborative team player and leader, able to forge and sustain excellent relationships with kitchen staff and executive management.
My proven success in developing and managing innovative and refined menu fare is certain to immensely benefit Gold Plate. The chance to discuss my qualifications further would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Vivian S. Fenster