Grant Writer Cover Letter
Grant Writers work for nonprofit organizations and are in charge with securing funds by preparing grant proposals. A Bachelor’s Degree is usually required for this position, as well as voluntary certification. Common responsibilities of a Grant Writer include: performing research, identifying potential funding sources, composing proposals, supplying required items and materials, liaising with grant-making organizations, supervising volunteers, collaborating with the executive board, and promoting the organization.
The ideal candidate for this job should be able to mention the following skills and qualifications throughout his or her cover letter:
- Training in communication and professional writing
- Excellent grammar skills
- Research experience
- Knowledge of the field they are working in
- Nonprofit management expertise
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A meticulous approach to work
- Time management
- Computer competences
The example cover letter displayed just beneath mentions similar skills and abilities required to a Grant Writer.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Grant Writer Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Lentz:
When I learned of Clear Space’s need for an experienced and productive Grant Writer, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. With more than 12 years of grant writing experience—coupled with an extensive network of local resources and donors—I feel confident in my ability to significantly benefit your organization in this role.
My background has consistently been characterized by my steadfast dedication to enhancing organizational performance and achieving—and often exceeding—fundraising objectives. With success in researching policies, submitting grant proposals, and uncovering alternative funding sources, I am confident that my additional skills and qualifications will readily translate to this position and render me an invaluable asset to your team.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Leading funding efforts for nonprofit organizations in the Seattle metropolitan area focused on environmental laws and climate change initiatives; writing government and foundation grant proposals, performing interviews to fulfill grant requirements, producing QA and progress reports, and successfully securing funds to accelerate organizations’ missions.
- Outperforming funding objectives by 67% in a single year as a Grant Writer with the Conservation Corps.
- Researching and pursuing new grant opportunities through potential corporate and community partners, and reporting to senior management accordingly.
- Developing solid, trusting relationships with community members and potential donors, leveraging persuasive communication skills and articulate presentation talents to achieve or surpass objectives.
- Utilizing superior organizational, interpersonal, and team-building skills to propel programs and teams to peak results.
- Earning a Bachelor of Arts in Communication, as well as a post-graduate certificate in Professional Grant Writing, from the University of Washington.
With my record of success in writing and securing grants within the nonprofit sector, complemented by my passion for the environment and my dedication to achieving results, I will certainly surpass your expectations for this role. I look forward to discussing the position, and your organization’s needs, in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Gail H. Graves