Graduate Teaching Assistant Cover Letter
Graduate Teaching Assistants are students finishing their graduate degree and accumulating teaching experience at the same time. These employees provide support to professors and complete duties such as: preparing presentations and course materials, attending lectures, preparing equipment, collecting student assignments, implementing lab rules, providing advice to students, maintaining attendance records, answering to student inquiries, invigilating exams, and returning assignments to students.
A successful candidate for Graduate Teaching Assistant should demonstrate the following skills throughout his or her cover letter:
- Instruction skills
- A good academic record
- Organization and planning
- Self-confidence and presentation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Supervisory skills
- Computer literacy
- Time management
Similar job skills and experience can be seen in the sample cover letter displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Graduate Teaching Assistant Resume Samples.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Dr. Wright:
It is with great interest that I am submitting the enclosed resume in response to your need for a new Graduate Teaching Assistant. As a self-motivated and dedicated graduate student currently on track to earn my Doctorate degree in Psychology in 2018, I am prepared to leverage my subject expertise—as well as my strong leadership, time management, and interpersonal skills—to make an immediate and positive impact on your students and classroom.
With my advanced education in the field of psychology coupled with my commitment to academic excellence, I am poised to provide you with vital support in this role. From teaching lower-level courses and giving assignments to grading papers and evaluating student performances, my ability to deliver overarching assistance is certain to alleviate the demands of this class on your workload while ensuring a positive educational experience for your students. Furthermore, my outstanding research talents could also be of great use to you in your writing and publishing efforts.
Highlights of my qualifications include the following:
- Assisting Professor Turngow in the 2015-2016 academic year in his Introduction to Psychology and Group Psychology classes, delivering lectures, preparing examinations, grading assignments, and assessing performances for 125+ students to give Dr. Turngow appropriate feedback and comprehensive classroom support.
- Earning a reputation from students for warm and approachable demeanor while continually enhancing students’ learning potential through real world experiences and examples.
- Conducting in-depth research and investigative analysis on the psychological and social impacts of aging within the criminal justice system; completed capstone thesis project on this topic.
- Earning a Master’s degree in Psychology, with honors, in 2015; currently on track to earn my PhD in 2018.
With my experience, education, and enthusiasm, I am well prepared to thrive in this position and exceed your expectations for your class. I look forward to discussing how I can best support you in further detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Tamie G. Foulds