Digital Marketing Coordinator Job Description
Digital marketing coordinators combine creative communication skills and technical savviness to devise, implement, and manage an organization’s online marketing efforts.Digital marketing coordinators spend most of their day in an office, spearheading a company’s strategic growth efforts and using the latest web and marketing systems to capitalize on current trends. From leading email campaigns and marketing automation to executing clear, concise brand messaging across all online platforms, these professionals are experts at marketing in the digital realm.
Digital Marketing Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Based on our analysis of current job listings, a digital marketing coordinator’s core responsibilities include:
Manage Company Website
Digital marketing coordinators are often the gatekeepers for their company’s website. Whether developing web content, ensuring all content is up to date, or measuring the success of specific web pages, digital marketing coordinators make sure the website performs at optimal capacity.
Oversee Lead Generation
Companies often rely on strategic digital marketing efforts to recruit new customers using highly comprehensive online acquisition systems. Digital marketing coordinators often plan, oversee, and execute these efforts to hook new customers and increase product or service sales.
The digital world changes at breathtaking speeds. Digital marketing coordinators have a responsibility to keep themselves informed and aware of all the latest developments in the industry.
Create Effective Marketing Campaigns
Using the latest technology, digital marketing coordinators typically create and manage marketing campaigns on multiple digital platforms to boost revenue for company products identified as marketing priorities. Campaigns might include email and search engine optimization (SEO) and marketing (SEM) strategies.
Digital marketing coordinators typically monitor the results of digital marketing efforts and report any successes or shortcomings to the marketing and sales teams.
Digital Marketing Coordinator Skills and Qualifications
In addition to a creative mind and digital expertise, employers prefer digital marketing coordinators with the following essential skills:
- Web coding – digital marketing coordinators are responsible for website management, which requires a strong understanding of HTML and CSS
- Marketing automation – the digital marketing coordinator’s work happens across multiple digital channels. They are well-versed in the world of marketing automation and have a particularly strong understanding of SEO and SEM and how these practices drive revenue
- Social media savvy – digital marketing coordinators are familiar with the most current social media platforms and their effectiveness in promoting services and products to targeted audiences. Experience overseeing social media campaigns will serve prospective job candidates well
- Communication skills – a large part of the digital marketing coordinator’s day-to-day job is spent creating strong, brand-infused copy to reinforce a company’s mission and product value. Top-notch writing and editing skills are required
- Analytical skills – digital marketing coordinators must quantify and analyze campaign results and make recommendations on ways to improve or increase the success of marketing efforts
Tools of the Trade
Digital marketing coordinators often use the following tools day to day:
- SEO and SEM campaign tools (Google Adwords)
- Email marketing campaign software (MailChimp, Constant Contact)
- Content management systems (WordPress)
- Social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
Digital Marketing Coordinator Education and Training
Although it’s not a universal requirement, most digital marketing coordinators have a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, business, or a related field. In some cases, a high school diploma or GED with a few years of experience in a marketing role are sufficient.
Digital Marketing Coordinator Salary and Outlook
According to Glassdoor.com, the average salary for digital marketing coordinators is about $67,000 a year, with lower paid workers earning about $43 annually and higher paid digital marketing coordinators making more than $86,000 a year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers – a category that includes digital marketing coordinators – is expected to increase 10 percent through 2026.
Intrigued and want to learn more? Check out some of these resources with more information about all things marketing:
American Marketing Association – membership to this organization grants you access to scholarly journals and publications that feature well-researched information on marketing excellence
Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital – author Philip Kotler captures the challenges of transitioning marketing strategy from traditional print applications to cutting-edge digital trends
Digital Marketing Association – the DMA’s core objective is supporting marketing professionals and companies through education, certification, and other membership benefits
The Art of Digital Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Creating Strategic, Targeted and Measurable Online Campaigns – this helpful resource will help you build strategic campaigns that meet the customer’s needs while also meeting your company’s objectives
Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small – one marketing plan can’t fit all companies’ needs, which is why expert Nick Westergaard wrote this insightful guide about marketing trends that work best for companies in light of their available resources
Digital Marketing Coordinator Resume Help
Explore these related job titles from our database of hundreds of thousands of expert-approved resume samples: