Digital Account Manager Job Description
A digital account manager is responsible for building and maintaining a portfolio of digital marketing client accounts. They are often the primary point of contact for these clients – as well as the point of contact for internal sales and support teams – and lead multichannel communication campaigns to achieve client goals.Because much of the job relies on forging strong, lasting relationships with new and existing clients, successful digital account managers have strong interpersonal skills and a sociable demeanor.This is a management position, and though it varies from agency to agency, digital account managers typically report directly to the agency director. This high-pressure position requires a minimum of 40 work hours a week.
Digital Account Manager Duties & Responsibilities
Specific job duties for digital account managers vary based on their employer. However, there are several core tasks common across the field, such as:
Correspond with Clients
Digital account managers are responsible for identifying and fulfilling their clients’business objectives and are in frequent contact with clients to explain strategy, plan for the future, and keep them in the loop regarding the latest developments.
Address Client Queries
Part of maintaining a strong relationship with a client is addressing their issues, concerns, or questions in a thoughtful, timely manner. This displays dedication, commitment, and compassion, and goes a long way in maintaining client loyalty.
Set Digital Strategies
Digital account managers spend much of their time collaborating with marketing and sales teams to develop and implement digital marketing and advertising strategies that align with the client’s requirements and maximize their return on investment (ROI).
Analyze Key Metrics
Tracking, measuring, and analyzing key account metrics such as customer conversion rates, impression shares, average order value, and cost-per-click is vital to optimizing digital campaigns from an ROI perspective.
Write Performance Reports
To ensure accountability and gain valuable insights into what is working and what isn’t, digital account managers are typically required to report on digital advertising campaign performance on a monthly, weekly, and sometimes daily basis.
Digital Account Manager Skills & Qualifications
Digital account managers have a passion for people and a comprehensive understanding of the digital marketing realm. Agencies prefer candidates who can easily build rapport with new and existing clients, translate client needs into actionable campaign strategies, and demonstrate the following skills:
- Communication skills – communicating thoughtfully, accurately, and efficiently is necessary for establishing relationships; corresponding in person, over the phone, or through email; making presentations; and writing comprehensive reports
- Project management – managing digital accounts means juggling multiple clients, campaigns, teams, and departments. Good project management skills are needed to balance such a heavy workload and give each client the care and attention they require
- Presentation skills – part of a digital account manager’s job is to secure new clients, something often achieved through pitches and presentations. A successful digital account manager knows how to deliver an engaging presentation tailored specifically to the client
- Personnel management – on top of managing clients, digital account managers work with teams to create, implement, and maintain effective communication campaigns. Someone with proven personnel management skills can effectively delegate tasks, motivate staff to excellence, and coordinate activities with peak efficiency
- CRM software proficiency – balancing multiple clients, goals, and activities becomes simpler by orders of magnitude with the right customer relationship management software. Busy digital account managers rely on these systems to streamline their workflow and maximize time and effort
Tools of the Trade
- Account management software (KAPTA, ZOHO CRM, WorkflowMAX)
- Data analytics tools (kapost, Moat Analytics, bizible)
- Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Digital Account Manager Education and Training
Employers typically prefer candidates with a bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a related field. However, some employers also consider candidates with equivalent work experience. Most digital account managers get their start as a junior digital account manager and work their way up to the role.
Digital Account Manager Salary and Outlook
The median annual salary for digital account managers, categorized by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) as advertising, promotions, and marketing managers, is around$120,000 per year. Digital account managers in the lowest 10 percent earn about $58,000 annually, and the highest paid make in excess of $208,000. Full-time digital account managers employed by large companies typically receive bonus compensation plans based on commission.
Industry employment for digital account managers is projected to grow 10 percent through 2026, a rate the BLS describes as faster than the average for all occupations.
For those interested in becoming a digital account manager, we searched the web for the best industry resources available. Check out this list for learning opportunities,places to network, and certification programs:
Mastering Account Management – author Dan Englander shares insights on the psychology of client relations and strategies for forging strong client relationships
Truth, Lies, and Advertising – Jon Steel wrote this beginner’s guide to all things advertising and account planning
Certified Strategic Account Manager – this certification program establishes a professional standard of best practices to successfully execute the role and responsibilities of an account manager
Account Manager Group – Sales Executives and Management – account managers and executives across all industries join this LinkedIn group, which has a special focus on developing client relationships through sales and marketing
Digital Account Manager Resume Help
Explore these related job titles from our database of hundreds of thousands of expert-approved resume samples: