Department Manager Cover Letter
Department Managers supervise and direct the activities of workers in a specific department. In addition to acting in a supervisory capacity, they often engage in decision-making, purchasing, merchandising and accounting duties. Other possible duties include creating displays, handling inventory and placing and removing sales signage. Knowledge of effective sales techniques, excellent customer service delivery and promoting a positive and inspired teamwork environment is essential to Department Managers’ success.
The following skills and qualifications are often found in example cover letters for Department Managers:
- Assigns duties to employees and creates work schedules according to employee availability
- Supervises employees engaged in sales, inventory, stocking or customer service duties
- Hires, trains, and evaluates marketing and sales personnel; keeps records of employee time
- Develops sales promotions, including advertising copy and merchandise displays
- Compiles sales and inventory data for budgeting department and management staff
- Resolves customer complaints stemming from dissatisfaction in customer service or products
- Oversees pricing and display of incoming merchandise according to profitability requirements
Below is an example of a cover letter that details the relevant work experience and abilities for a Department Manager.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Mr. Fisher:
I am submitting my resume for the position of Department Manager. For the past two years, I’ve served as a successful and award-winning Assistant Department Manager in a high-end retail environment — a valuable experience that has positioned me to seamlessly transition into a higher-level management position such as the one Cavendish Clothing Emporium is offering.
My extensive experience in sales and customer service gives me the knowledge needed to effectively and thoroughly train sales team members and give them the ongoing support needed for retention. In addition, my degree in Retail Merchandising and my talent motivating team members to exceed sales goals gives me the credibility and proven ability to serve as part of your management team.
Below are some highlights of my related experience and qualifications:
- Consistently met and exceeded department sales goals for 36 months before being promoted to Assistant Department Manager
- Developed strategic methods to maximize department sales from $200,000 to $500,000 within six months
- Managed, scheduled and completed performance reviews for a group of six employees
- Developed and held motivational training sessions for commission-based sales team members
- Modeled safety and security routines to help new store employees learn loss-prevention techniques
- Compiled reports on department budgeting in relation to past, current and future sales figures
I am available at your convenience for an in-depth interview to discuss my qualifications for this position and how I can help advance the goals of Cavendish Clothing Emporium. I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
Thank you for your consideration.