English Professor Cover Letter
English Professors instruct college-level students in subjects ranging from writing/composition to English literature to ESL. A deep understanding and appreciation of the English language is essential, as well as a commitment to exploring classic works of literature and uncovering deeper meanings within the texts. Success in this role requires strong skills in course planning and leadership, and in student mentoring and advisement.
Our compilation of sample cover letters for English Professors shows the following types of abilities and experience to be of value to mention:
- Syllabi planning/course development
- Lesson planning
- Assignments and grading
- Collaborative classroom discussions
- Text interpretations
- Student advisement and support
- Student evaluation and feedback
Below is a sample cover letter for an English Professor highlighting similar abilities and qualifications.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive English Professor Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Dr. Wise:
As an accomplished, student-centric, and respected English Professor with 13 years of experience developing lesson plans and curriculum for both undergraduate and graduate students, it is my pleasure to submit the enclosed resume for your review. My background and passion for education and English literature positions me to significantly impact Merriweather College’s English department.
Throughout my distinguished teaching career, I have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to fostering a deep appreciation for outstanding works of literature while honing my communication, creativity, and motivational skills. Curriculum development, insightful grading and evaluation, and innovative educational techniques are just a few of my areas of expertise, and I have earned consistently high ratings from my students for my level of instruction and my dedication to superior student experiences and outcomes. Furthermore, my inherent passion for fostering collaborative and engaging educational environments has successfully encouraged and developed productive, thoughtful, and accomplished English students.
Highlights of my qualifications include:
- Selecting high-impact texts and creating dynamic syllabi, assignments, and topical discussions to drive an engaging and thought-provoking English education while stimulating students’ enjoyment and appreciation for learning.
- Instructing students in classes such as Literary Criticism, Romantic Poetry, Postcolonial Writers, African American Cultural Texts, Shakespeare, and Expository Writing.
- Advising senior undergraduates majoring in English as well as graduate students pursuing Masters or Doctoral English degrees.
- Earning a reputation as a disciplined and insightful professor who cultivates meaningful connections with learners.
- Winner of the Provost’s Circle Award in 2013 for excellence in teaching.
- Earning a Ph.D. in English Literature with Honors from the University of Oregon.
With my experience and credentials, I am well prepared to dedicate myself to the highest standards of English learning at your school and exceed your expectations for this position. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Nalida R. Turner