Mental Health Assistant Cover Letter
Mental health assistants support patients suffering from a variety of mental and emotional disorders and issues, typically under the supervision of direct treatment providers and other medical staff. Common responsibilities performed in this role include attending examinations, administering medications, monitoring and addressing negative behaviors, and offering support in daily living routines and tasks. Superior interpersonal, communication, and empathic skills are all highly beneficial to success in this role, as is an excellent bedside manner and a commitment to outstanding patient service.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Treatment planning and delivery
- Behavior de-escalation and modification
- Appointment scheduling
- Incident reports
- Report generation
- Crisis intervention and management
- Behavior and medication assistance
- HIPAA compliance
- Patient documentation
- Recreational and daily living task support
- Patient intake and discharge
- Patient assessment
- 1:1 patient supervision
- Therapeutic and emotional support
Please find below a sample cover letter for a mental health assistant including relevant skills, qualifications, and experience.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Rogers:
Upon learning of your need for a mental health assistant to join your team, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience supporting patients through a variety of mental health treatments – as well as my training in social work and therapy services – gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your organization in this capacity.
From accompanying patients to examinations and supervising patients to working with culturally diverse individuals and providing effective support and counseling, my background has prepared me to excel in this role. My ability to connect with patients and establish trusting relationships, along with my consistent mindfulness of my personal responses to clients, position me to thrive in this challenging field.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Providing vital support to a wide range of mental health patients through dynamic internships over the past three years; completing a comprehensive training program to advance my skills and education in social work and mental health through the University of Pittsburgh
- Facilitating effective counseling, therapy, and support within individual and group situations for patients facing substance abuse, self-injury, and impulsive behaviors
- Offering wide-ranging support in areas encompassing behavior assistance and de-escalation, medication administration, daily reports and logs, crisis intervention, intake and discharge, treatment planning, and daily living skills including meal preparation, grooming, and housekeeping
- Completing all required tasks while ensuring full compliance with HIPAA and additional state and federal regulations
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and highly stressful situations; gaining a breadth of experience working with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
With my previous experience and education in mental health assistance, complemented by my dedication to providing critical assistance to patients in need, I am confident that I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in detail would be appreciated. Thank you for your consideration.
Frances P. Harper