Staff Writer Cover Letter
Staff writers are typically hired to write articles, blogs, marketing copy, or other content for newspapers, websites, magazines, or general companies requiring written content. Requirements for success in this position include the ability to perform in-depth and targeted research, conduct effective interviews, develop and edit pieces, and submit content for publication in accordance with schedules and timelines. Reliability, flexibility, and a high level of integrity are all often seen reflected in professionals holding this role, in addition to outstanding writing, editing, and technical proficiencies.
Cover letters for this position often mention the following:
- Research and interviews
- Content development and editing
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Team collaboration
- Information sharing and organization
- Brainstorming and story pitches
- Schedule and budget adherence
- Social media management
Below you will find an example of a cover letter for a staff writer mentioning similar abilities and experience.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Nelson:
Upon review of your posting for a staff writer to join your team at Blink Twice, I quickly decided to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As a creative and hard-working feature writer with more than five years of experience writing compelling and innovative articles for a variety of media, I feel confident that I could outperform your expectations for this role.
My background in developing and composing feature-length articles and ongoing columns on a variety of subjects – including news, arts and culture, and business – prepares me to substantially impact your organization. With my successful history of publishing success in newspapers, blogs, and magazines, along with my commitment to cultivating productive relationships to encourage future connections and stimulate content ideas, I am ready to extend my record of writing accomplishments with Blink Twice.
Highlights of my experience include the following…
- Publishing approximately 175 newspaper articles, 200 blog entries, and 40 magazine articles in reputable titles (please see enclosed list of published pieces)
- Performing deep research, collecting and organizing information, conducting interviews, writing and editing pieces, and working collaboratively with publication staff to deliver engaging articles on time and on budget
- Incorporating multimedia components, such as photos and videos, into articles as much as possible
- Increasing personal followers on social media from 500 to more than 5,000 due to my reputation for outstanding writing skills and compelling content and delivery
- Attending editorial meetings and pitching stories while brainstorming with fellow writers and publication managers to generate content ideas
- Leveraging strong editorial skills to generate flawless copy upon submission, ensuring expeditious delivery from writing to publication
With my expertise in writing and developing feature articles, combined with my exceptional interpersonal skills and commitment to exploring innovative story ideas and comprehensive topic coverage, I am positioned to significantly benefit your writing team. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Jennifer M. Lyman