Legislative Assistant Cover Letter
Legislative Assistants draft and edit legislation text and are also responsible for clerical duties. Typical work activities of a Legislative Assistant include conducting research, providing ideas for new legislation, writing speeches needed to introduce new legislation, making sure the bills or rules have the support required to pass, answering to questions about legislation to reporters and committees, discussing bills with stakeholders, and serving as the legislator’s representative.
A successful cover letter example for Legislative Assistant usually focuses on the following job skills:
- Training in public administration, business, or political science
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- English proficiency
- Writing skills
- Knowledge of current events
- Computer competences
- Attention to details
- A professional demeanor
Beneath is provided a sample cover letter highlighting relevant Legislative Assistant skills and abilities.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Legislative Assistant Resume Samples.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Mr. Henderson:
Upon review of your posting for a Legislative Assistant, I was immediately drawn to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As an accomplished and results-driven professional with key experience driving overall support for bills and other pieces of legislation, I am positioned to exceed your expectations for this role.
My background in researching, drafting, editing, and gathering support for various legislative issues and bills prepares me to make a significant impact on your office. In my most recent position supporting three state representatives in the state of Nevada, I served as the chief liaison between legislative, policy, and agency staff regarding all constituent matters while cultivating superior partnerships and alliances. Accompanied by a strong commitment to ensuring open and productive government relationships, I excel at connecting with the public to ascertain support for legislation while leveraging my exceptional written and verbal communication skills to propel legislative success.
Highlights of my experience include the following…
- Excelling as the primary legal researcher for more than 70 pieces of legislation in the office of Nevada State Rep. Wickshaw, Rep. Ogden, and Rep. Lahood; drafting proposals, monitoring pending legislation, proposing new recommendations, and preparing for hearings and meetings.
- Drafting legislation codifying local conservation agreements into federal law; securing bill’s passage in the House of Representatives through close collaboration with stakeholders, Congressional committee staff, and Congressional leadership.
- Developing and establishing an online forum—incorporating social media engagement tools—to facilitate communication amongst the public on topical legislative concerns, trends and potential bills.
- Writing and presenting detailed communications on behalf of Nevada state representatives to constituents; overseeing composition and delivery of constituent newsletter sent to 9K+.
- Mentoring and supervising legislative interns, delegating tasks and monitoring their performance.
- Earning a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of Nevada in 2013.
With the capacity to employ persuasive communication and research skills to influence public perceptions and achieve legislative success, coupled with my proven history of developing strategic relationships, I am prepared to substantially benefit your office. I look forward to discussing this opportunity—and my qualifications—in further detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Daniel M. Lytle