GIS Technician Cover Letter
GIS Technicians use data and computer science to create maps and Geographic Information System (GIS) applications. Standard work activities include preparing data visualizations based on GIS data, using computer-aided design (CAD) software to create GIS maps, entering data into GIS applications and reviewing all data for accuracy, creating and maintaining GIS databases and analyzing various aspects of GIS data depending on project specifications.
The following is a list of the qualifications and skills most commonly found on a GIS Technician cover letter.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, or Engineering
- Proficiency in map creation software
- Proficiency in SQL database development
- Detail orientated
- Active listening skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Logic and reasoning skills
- Analytical skills
Below is an example of a GIS Technician cover letter that highlights these skills and qualifications.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive GIS Technician Resume Samples.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Mr. Delmore,
Upon learning of your need for a GIS Technician, I am writing to you to submit my resume for consideration. As a GIS Technician with three years of experience creating GIS maps and databases using software such as ESRI ARCGIS, I am sure I have the assets required to be of service to your organization.
My professional experience includes collecting and entering data into GIS Databases and then creating maps and other GIS applications based on this data. I believe I have the skills necessary to help Liberty Environmental Services grow and prosper.
Below are my most relevant skills and accomplishments.
- Earned Bachelor’s Degree in Geography from Georgia University
- Created database based for flood zone data analysis
- Developed GIS Maps of flood zones using the map creation software ESRI ARCGIS
- Trained new GIS Technicians on safety and quality assurance procedures
- Provided data visualizations in collaboration with GIS Analysts
In addition to these accomplishments, I believe my analytical mind and ability to solve complex problems set me apart from my competition. If you would like to grant me an interview, then please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your consideration.
Darrel T. Johnson