Civil Engineer Cover Letter
Civil Engineers are in charge for building and maintaining various structures, such as airports, railways, roads, bridges, dams, and power plants. They are employed by government departments, local authorities, or companies providing facilities such as water, gas, or electricity. Common Civil Engineer duties include completing feasibility studies, using computer software, managing budgets, making sure projects are completed in time, determining project impact, solving development problems, and liaising with clients.
A well-written cover letter sample for Civil Engineer should showcase the following qualifications:
- Engineering expertise
- Strong math skills
- Analytical and methodical thinking
- Effective communication
- Time management
- Deadline orientation
- Leadership and managerial skills
- Computer competences
- The ability to delegate tasks
Comparable Civil Engineer skills can be seen on the cover letter example displayed below.
For more information on what it takes to be a Civil Engineer, check out our more complete Civil Engineer Job Description.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Civil Engineer Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Bailey:
Upon learning of your need for a Civil Engineer, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. With more than 16 years of experience in building and structure development, installation, modification, and maintenance—as well as my superior project management and team leadership abilities—my talents would significantly benefit your organization.
My expertise lies in performing detailed feasibility studies, designing initial structure plans, adhering to defined budgets, and resolving issues or concerns while minimizing environmental impact. From determining project scopes and consulting with clients to overseeing comprehensive engineering functions and training and supervising teams, I demonstrate success in driving all phases of civil engineering projects from ground to finish.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Supervising all aspects of operations, development, and execution of a $25M bridge building project, a $23M roadway project, and a $49M sewer rehabilitation project; obtained all necessary permits, addressed the public and various agencies regarding potential disruptions, and led weekly status update meetings with contractors and inspectors.
- Reviewing and approving project drawings and specifications, preparing cost estimates, preparing proposals and schedules, and tracking expenses and deadlines to meet all deliverables.
- Facilitating success for quality-focused projects through expertise in AutoCAD.
- Utilizing superior organizational, interpersonal, and motivational skills to propel projects and teams to peak results.
My superior knowledge and experience in civil engineering and project leadership will contribute immensely to the success of future projects with Surface International. I look forward to discussing the position in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Robert L. Rego