Development Officer Cover Letter
Development Officers help employees in an organization to improve their skills and motivation in order to carry out their tasks better. Essential Development Officer responsibilities include identifying training needs, implementing employee appraisal schemes, implementing development programs, monitoring expenses, creating individual learning plans, adapting programs to changes in work environments, updating their knowledge of development trends, and applying e-learning techniques.
Those interested in a Development Officer career should be able to demonstrate the following skills and abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Training in business and psychology
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Being able to motivate others
- Organization and planning
- Commitment to self-improvement
- Problem solving orientation
- Time management
- Computer competences
Below is displayed a cover letter sample for Development Officer showcasing similar job qualifications and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Development Officer Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Mr. Stiffler:
When I learned of your search for an experienced Development Officer, I quickly decided to submit my resume for your consideration. With 14+ years of experience leading relationship management, event coordination, fundraising efforts, and donor outreach for top-tier private colleges, I am confident that I can significantly benefit your school in this role.
My background spans excellent experience in identifying, soliciting, and securing major gifts and donations as a Development Officer/Associate with Lewis & Clark College and Reed College, respectively. I excel at tapping into previously ignored and/or unreached funding opportunities while maintaining a steadfast dedication to achieving—and often exceeding—fundraising objectives. With my outstanding networking and relationship building/management talents, I am confident that my qualifications will readily translate to this position and render me an invaluable asset to your team.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Spearheading donor communications, fundraising, donation processing, alumni relations, special event management, and general program oversight to drive college funding and growth.
- Researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gift donors on behalf of the colleges through major giving, annual giving, and planned giving efforts; serving as the chief point of contact and relationship manager for donors.
- Raising approximately $690,000 in current and planned gifts during the tracked period following newly instituted metrics for FY2016 at Reed College.
- Orchestrating the bi-annual donor appeal mailing project, sending 2,500+ direct mail pieces to both potential and current donors.
- Representing colleges at internal and external fundraising and alumni events.
- Building, growing, and continually updating a prospective donor tracking system to eliminate overlapping fund requests and improve the ability to pinpoint and pursue uncommitted donors.
- Demonstrating superior leadership, time management, and interpersonal skills throughout my career accomplishments.
With my proven expertise in marketing, donor relations, and program coordination to drive fundraising efforts for private academic institutions, I am certain that I can outperform your expectations for this role. I look forward to discussing the position and my qualifications in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Joseph L. Lyons