Development Director Cover Letter
Development Directors are responsible for fundraising aspects in a nonprofit organization or a university. Typical work activities of a Development Director are creating and implementing fundraising plans, ensuring financial support, liaising with major donors, organizing fundraising events, monitoring budgets and expenses, identifying major gift prospects, collaborating with key executives, cultivating donor relationships, and coordinating volunteers.
A successful Development Director should be able to demonstrate the following skills and abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Fundraising skills
- Excellent networking and interpersonal abilities
- Stamina and perseverance
- Computer competences
- Online giving expertise
- Donor relationship skills
- Good numeracy abilities
- Attention to details
- Being able to work under pressure
Below is displayed a cover letter sample for Development Director highlighting similar skills and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Development Director Resume Samples.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Mr. Butler:
When I learned of your need for a Development Director, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. With my comprehensive experience in managing business development and operations, as well as my expertise in training and overseeing high-performing teams, I feel confident that I can significantly benefit your organization.
From leading strategic planning efforts and analyzing market opportunities to improving community relations and developing internal policies and procedures, my background has consistently been characterized by my steadfast dedication to managing fiscal responsibility and achieving corporate growth and development objectives. My proven ability to strategically define and meet program goals, along with my communication and time management capabilities, position me to excel in this role.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Thriving as Director of Development for the past nine years for a non-profit organization dedicated to driving positive social change within at-risk communities; single-handedly developing and executing fundraising strategies to realize a 36% increase in revenue.
- Successfully developing and establishing budgets, schedules, grants, and project tasks to comprehensively manage all facets of program implementation and execution in adherence with requirements and goals.
- Overseeing planned giving and endowment activities, including individual solicitations, special events, direct mail, and community seminars.
- Identifying, soliciting, and stewarding donors/grantors of $1,000+ comprising volunteers and community leaders.
- Developing solid, trusting relationships with staff, peers, community members, and agencies to facilitate efficiency and productivity and achieve business development success.
- Mentoring, training, and directing highly productive and enthusiastic team members, boosting morale and encouraging dedication and organizational loyalty with minimal turnover.
- Utilizing superior organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills to propel organizations and teams to peak results.
With my record of success in business development, coupled with my leadership and analytical skills, I will certainly surpass your expectations for this role. I look forward to discussing the position in detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Kevin W. Woods