Correctional Officer Cover Letter
Correctional Officers work in prisons and supervise people detained for legal reasons. This job is very demanding and those working as Correctional Officers deal with a high risk of getting injured. Daily work activities for this job include: managing and supervising prisoners, patrolling, helping with prisoner reviews, escorting prisoners during external visits, recommending professional help, using restraint procedures when needed, supporting vulnerable prisoners, and inspecting cells. They also need to minimize hazards such as fire inside the facility.
Based on our collection of cover letter samples, a Correctional Officer should demonstrate the following abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Being able to interact efficiently with all sorts of people
- Stamina and resilience
- Integrity and reliability
- Being able to stay calm during stressful situations
- Physical fitness and the ability to employ control methods on prisoners
Similar Correctional Officer skills can be seen in the cover letter example provided below.
For more information on what it takes to be a Correctional Officer, check out our more complete Correctional Officer Job Description.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Correctional Officer Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Mr. Lytle:
Upon learning of your posting for a Correctional Officer, I was anxious to submit my resume for your review. As an experienced security professional with experience managing daily operations and ensuring optimal inmate health and safety, I am prepared to significantly contribute to your facility’s objectives.
My background includes performing all aspects of correctional facility management and patrolling, such as physical inspections, visual surveillance, and inmate supervision. From performing day-to-day operational responsibilities to responding to emergencies, I excel at delivering comprehensive facility support while thriving in high-pressure, high-stress environments.
Highlights of my experience include…
- Playing a key role in reducing inmate disturbances and incidents and increasing overall facility safety.
- Patrolling and inspecting buildings, prison units, yards, and clothing to ensure welfare, safety, and security of all inmates and personnel.
- Assessing unanticipated and unpredictable situations and responding effectively and appropriate to mitigate risk and danger; physically restraining and controlling inmates when necessary.
- Ensuring compliance with all Department of Corrections policies and procedures.
- Maintaining top-flight physical fitness standards to enable inclusion on special force teams.
My skills in facility and inmate management have been finely honed, and I am confident my additional strengths will readily translate to your team. I would appreciate the chance to discuss this position and my qualifications further. Thank you, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Raymond G. Stewart