City Manager Cover Letter
In the council-manager form of city government, City Managers are the liaison between the public and the officials they have elected to represent them in their city government. Standard work activities include working on the city budget and advising elected officials on budgetary issues, recruiting and hiring city employees, listening to public concerns at town halls and other public events, responding to citizen phone calls and emails, and creating press strategies for policy announcements and discussions.
Below is a list of the skills and qualifications commonly found on a City Manager cover letter.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration preferred, Bachelor’s degree acceptable
- Decision-making skills
- Five years of municipal experience
- Financial acumen
- Leadership skills
- Social perceptiveness
- Logic and reasoning
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage people and resources
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Systems Analysis and Evaluation skills
- Time Management Skills
The following is a sample City Manager cover letter that highlights some of these skills and qualifications.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive City Manager Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a City Manager, check out our more complete City Manager Job Description.