Chemical Dependency Counselor Cover Letter
Chemical dependency counselors work with individuals suffering from substance abuse issues. Typical work activities include performing intake assessments, defining client needs and goals, leading individual and group therapy sessions, monitoring client progress, and completing all required documentation. Strong empathy skills and superior communication and interpersonal abilities are highly advantageous in this position.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Client intake assessment
- Psychological evaluation
- Customized treatment planning
- Treatment referrals
- Progress assessment and treatment modification
- Substance abuse prevention and treatment
- Case documentation and records management
- Relationship building and management
- Client education, seminars, and workshops
A sample cover letter for a chemical dependency counselor follows below noting relevant skills, qualifications, and credentials.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Mr. Lewis:
When I learned of your clinic’s need for an experienced chemical dependency counselor, I quickly decided to send along my resume for your consideration. With more than 12 years of experience supporting individuals dealing with substance abuse issues, I have confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your clinical team in this capacity.
From leading one-on-one client informational sessions and teaching coping mechanisms to preparing treatment plans and monitoring individuals’ progress, my background has prepared me to excel in this role. My ability to connect with clients and establish trusting relationships – along with my strong communication and organization capabilities – will allow me to make a positive and lasting contribution to Jefferson Street Clinic’s vision.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Providing comprehensive support and guidance to adults, adolescents, and families facing challenges and complications due to substance abuse; facilitating psychoeducational groups, individual counseling sessions, and family therapy sessions targeting drug prevention, criminogenic factors, and family reunification strategies
- Conducting client intake assessments, developing customized treatment plans and referrals, monitoring client progress, and maintaining detailed client files and case documents in accordance with OASAS guidelines
- Identifying client needs and determining creative solutions and plans to achieve objectives and encourage improved societal contributions and interactions
- Interacting regularly and professionally with corrections officers, public agencies, employees, and family members
- Utilizing superior organizational and interpersonal abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations
- Earning a master’s degree in social work from California State University, Long Beach
With my previous extensive experience in chemical dependency counseling, complemented by my dedication to providing critical assistance to individuals in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration.
Kathryn L. Suarez