What is a Laundry Attendant?
In general, a Laundry Attendant’s duties include washing, drying and folding clothes and linens. Laundry Attendants employed in the hospitality industry, for example, often are responsible for washing towels and sheets, as well as the personal items of guests. Laundry Attendants also work for dry cleaners, washing items like shirts and pants. A Laundry Attendant who works in a coin-operated laundry or public laundromat, however, is responsible for managing the operations and cleanliness of the facility, so that customers are able to wash their own clothing in the most efficient manner.
Laundry Attendant is an entry-level position that typically doesn’t require significant previous experience. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects a 2 percent growth for all laundry and dry-cleaning workers, a category that includes Laundry Attendants. This will amount to 3,360 jobs becoming available each year through 2024.
Laundry Attendant Duties and Responsibilities
Operate and Maintain Machines
Keep Track of Laundry
Laundry Attendant Skills
A person hoping to secure a job as a Laundry Attendant must be hardworking, reliable and able to function in a fast-paced working environment.
Core skills Based on our analysis of job postings, these are the skills employers are looking for when hiring Laundry Attendants.
- Physical strength and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, as well as stand and move around for the majority of the day.
- Ability to follow directions from managers, as well as follow the washing instructions detailed on individual garments.
- Good vision and the ability to notice small stains and imperfections.
- Knowledge of stain treatment in order to utilize the best strategies to remove the stain on each individual article.
Advanced skills Although not every employer required these advanced skills, they may be helpful in not only securing employment, but also advancing in the position.
- Technological skills to use email and web browsing software, as well as Microsoft Office and Windows, and other sales processing software.
- Helpful attitude to provide aid to housekeeping, if required.
- Customer service skills to offer an excellent client experience.
- Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
Choose from fully customizable
GET PAST THE BOTS
Ensure compatibility with Applicant Tracking Systems
LOOK YOUR BEST
Save time with sleek and stylish professional design templates
Laundry Attendant Salary
Laundry Attendant Resources
Want more information about becoming a Laundry Attendant? We searched the Web to find these additional resource
On the WebWash Cycle Laundry Blog
A blog by a mobile laundry and linens solutions for home or office.The Laundress Blog
Helpful advice on laundering from a company who focuses on ecofriendly laundry solutions.Olga’s Laundry Blog
Tips on all things laundry from a selfproclaimed “laundry nerd.”
A company that sells, services and provides parts for coin & OPL laundry equipment.@hoteliers
News and resources for hospitality industry professionals and students.@CareerCastTrsm
A resource for careers in the hospitality industry.
Detailed guidelines for how to do laundry properly.Betty’s Book of Laundry Secrets by Betty Faust
An approach that calls for using softer solutions, such as soap, and lowtech approaches, such as soaking, for optimal stain removal.Laundry Hints & Tips by Cindy Harris
A helpful guide to pleasantly scented, clean and soft laundry.