The hardest job in the world is being a mother. Once you become a mother though that doesn’t mean you have to give up on your career goals or aspirations — even as a stay at home mom.
There are plenty of opportunities to work as a stay at home mom, especially given the fact that 88% of business organizations across the world mandated or encouraged employees to work from home. Even before COVID-19, nearly 2 out of 10 employees worked remotely full time.
If you’re looking to get back into the workforce because the demands of motherhood just weren’t enough — and you like being a superhero — we’ve outlined 32 stay at home mom jobs for every type of personality type.
- Featured in:
Additionally, we have included a flow chart to help you hone in on exactly which type of stay at home job is best for you and added some helpful printables to ensure that you can work your best from home.
- Average base pay: $33,159/year
- Blogging is inexpensive and very easy to start. Being a blogger means writing about topics that you enjoy such as hobbies or life lessons you’ve learned. Soon enough, you can start generating revenue from your site through paid advertisements or guest posts.
- Blogger Resume Examples
2. Graphic Designer
- Average Base Pay: $45,677/year
- If you’re a business, you most likely need a website or some online presence. A graphic designer helps to create logos, visual ads or website design. This is a perfect way to make money for artistic mothers.
- Graphic Designer Resume Examples
3. Social Media Manager
- Average Base Pay: $50,473/year
- As you know, social media is everywhere online. A common way for businesses to advertise is through social media. As a social media manager, you might run a business’ social media accounts, strategy and advertisements.
- Social Media Manager Resume Examples
4. Marketing Specialist
- Average Base Pay: $65,834/year
- A marketing specialist can take many forms such as SEO specialist, content creator, strategist and others. As a marketing specialist, you may promote a company’s services or their client’s services.
- Marketing Specialist Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $30,367/year
- A photographer does spend some time away from home, but the majority of the work is done on a computer selecting and editing photos for the client. If you have a keen eye and are skilled with a camera, this could be a match made in heaven.
- Photographer Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $20,347/year
- Being a tutor is a great way to help others, and you can teach your favorite subject from school. You can tutor students of all ages and subjects, including standardized test sections for the SAT and ACT.
- Tutor Resume Examples
7. Virtual Assistant
- Average Base Pay: $26,350/year
- If you enjoy organizing other people’s lives and calendars, while also making sure every I is dotted and each is T crossed, then being a virtual assistant is a good way to work comfortably from home.
- Virtual Assistant Resume Examples
8. Childcare Provider
- Average Base Pay: $22,470/year
- If you’re already looking after your own child or they are enrolled in school, why not add a couple more. Running a daycare service for one child or multiple children can be quite profitable.
- Childcare Provider Resume Examples
9. Career Coach
- Average Base Pay: $40,089/year
- If you love to help others and feel passionate about giving direction, being a stay at home career coach can be rewarding and fulfilling. You can also schedule meetings around your availability.
- Career Coach Resume Examples
10. Customer Service Representative
- Average Base Pay: $27,834/year
- If you have high emotional intelligence and great communication skills then being a customer service representative could be an attractive opportunity.
- Customer Service Representative Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $47,899/year
- A professional matchmaker guides clients through the matching process. You have to be able to understand people’s needs, but also be able to grow your network with other matchmakers to assist clients.
12. Travel Consultant
- Average Base Pay: $34,283/year
- Lived a life of travel before having a child and are good and organizing and scheduling? Then, being a travel consultant is a perfect fit. Even better, you can schedule and work on your time.
- Travel Consultant Resume Examples
13. Freelance Programmer
- Average Base Pay: $69,980 /year
- Being a programmer is on the higher-end of the pay scale for stay at home mom jobs because it does require a specific skill set. On the bright side, there are tons of free online courses to teach you different coding languages.
- Freelance Programmer Resume Examples
14. Tax Preparer
- Average Base Pay: $50,264/year
- Being a tax preparer takes a lot of attention to detail, and it is a seasonal job. However, it can be quite lucrative during that short period in the spring.
- Tax Preparer Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $30,875/year
- Fun fact, you don’t have to have a CPA to be a bookkeeper. If you’re detailed enough and know enough about finances then you can quickly become a bookkeeper through online or college courses.
- Bookkeeper Resume Examples
16. Data Analyst
- Average Base Pay: $62,453/year
- A data analyst is essential to many businesses. You should be able to gather data, interpret information and give reports on key findings. It is a more skilled role and its salary reflects the higher skill requirements.
- Data Analyst Resume Examples
17. Data Entry Clerk
- Average Base Pay: $34,665/year
- Inputting data into a database or software can pay well and does not take nearly as much learned-skill as a data analyst does.
- Data Entry Clerk Resume Examples
18. Editor and Proofreader
- Average Base Pay: $45,000/year
- A proofreader notices the smallest of details and is ideal for anyone with a writing or journalism background. What is more attractive is that if you don’t have those backgrounds you can learn grammar rules from online resources and reading more often.
- Proofreader Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $50,169/year
- Some states and law firms, but not all, require paralegal certifications. However, those can be obtained through online courses or community college classes. A paralegal position is ideal for someone interested in law and has an eye for detail.
- Paralegal Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $23,602/year
- Being a transcriber is pretty straightforward. You are essentially listening to audio files or watching videos and recording word for word what is said.
- Transcriber Resume Examples
21. Website Tester
- Average Base Pay: $55,030/year
- A website tester is checking to see if a businesses’ website is intuitive and easy to follow. More often than not, the position requires some programming knowledge.
- Website Tester Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $45,158/year
- If you’re fluent in another language then being a translator is an easy job to pick up. If you have specific knowledge of business or medical language that can make you even more attractive and valuable to companies.
- Translator Resume Examples
23. Handmade CrafterAverage Base Pay: $10 /hour
- If you’re talented with your hands and know how to make certain items such as jewelry or furniture, you can sell your items through Etsy or start your own online business — whichever fits your workflow best.
24. Pet Groomer
- Average Base Pay: $32,316/year
- If you’re an animal lover, being a pet groomer is the perfect stay at home mom job. Just make sure you have a good vacuum, broom and dustpan.
- Pet Groomer Resume Examples
25. Hair Stylist
- Average Base Pay: $20,188/year
- Some states require a certification to be a cosmetologist while others do not. Regardless of which state you live in, cutting, dying and styling other people’s hair can be a fun interactive stay at home job.
- Hair Stylist Resume Examples
26. Massage Therapist
- Average Base Pay: $40,881/year
- A massage therapist treats clients’ aches and pains by manipulating the soft tissue and muscle to help soothe injuries and soreness. Some states require a license, but those are attainable through programs and courses.
- Massage Therapist Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $100,632/year
- As an acupuncturist, you will consult clients about their bodily symptoms and give diagnoses. The role is to help reflow energy within the body using different tools and techniques. The pay is pretty substantial, which in part is due to the certification and training requirements needed to practice.
- Acupuncturist Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $60,865/year
- A seamstress will design, repair and alter articles of clothing for clients. Depending on the clientele and your skill level you can charge hefty fees.
- Seamstress Resume Examples
29. Event Planner
- Average Base Pay: $49,696/year
- An event planner is ideal for a mother who enjoys working with others and has the freedom to be on the move to attend events at night and on the weekends. At times, an event planner must also preview venues during the week.
- Event Planner Resume Examples
30. Wedding Planner
- Average Base Pay: $47,380/year
- What’s better than helping people celebrate the most important day of their lives? A wedding planner is great for someone who is well organized but is also creative and enjoys working on the behalf of others. Being a wedding planner does require working most weekend nights.
- Wedding Planner Resume Examples
31. Health Coach
- Average Base Pay: $46,764/year
- Being a health coach means meeting with clients and diagnosing their nutrition and overall health. You will help clients change behaviors to improve their overall wellness.
- Health Coach Resume Examples
- Average Base Pay: $51,291/year
- If you are already a physically fit mother and have an interest in nutrition and assisting others, then being a stay at home nutritionist could be the ideal job for you.
- Nutritionist Resume Examples
How to Decide Which Job to Pursue
Re-entering the workforce can feel daunting at times, but you can make it easier by figuring out what you enjoy working on most and pursuing a stay at home job that fits your criteria. Below is a flow chart to help you choose a stay at home job that you will find meaningful and rewarding.
Detail Oriented Jobs: These jobs are usually for people who are more analytical and quantitative. Here are some options:
- Data Analyst
- Editor and Proofreader
Jobs That Assist Others: For those whose calling is to help others succeed in life. Here are occupations that rely on motherly instincts:
- Health Coach
- Career Coach
- Virtual Assistant
- Travel Consultant
Creative Jobs: Creative-minded jobs can be both digital and non-digital, whichever helps your creative juices flow. Below are stay at home job titles for right-brained mothers:
- Social Media Manager
- Graphic Designer
- Handmade Crafter
Printables to Stay Organized, Inspired and Recharged
The below printables will help you stay organized and motivated while you work from home.
Daily Organizer and Planner
Motivation and Empowerment Quotes
Now you know what options are available for mothers looking to re-enter the workforce from home. Remember, you can choose to work full-time or part-time depending on your availability and schedule. Just make sure to jumpstart your career by updating your resume for when you find the perfect job match. Good luck applying!