Assignment Editor Cover Letter
Assignment editors work for news organizations in a variety of media (print, online, TV, or radio) and delegate story and news coverage to specific reporters. Common work responsibilities performed in this role include generating story ideas, creating staff schedules, writing and editing content, maintaining strong relationships with outside groups and agencies, and updating breaking-news stories – all while excelling under pressure and strict deadlines. Superior technical proficiencies and expertise in journalistic best practices and standards are all mandatory in this role. Additionally, the ability to motivate, mentor, and supervise reporters is integral to success as an assignment editor.
Cover letters for this position often mention the following:
- News coverage assignment and delegation
- Daily newsroom supervision
- News briefings and updates
- Story research and development
- Staff schedule management
- Writing, editing, and proofreading
- Relationship building and networking
- Team meeting leadership
- Information delivery and dissemination
- Source cultivation and development
- News producer and reporter communications
Please find below a sample cover letter indicating similar abilities, qualifications, and experience for an assignment editor.
Dear Mr. Horsley:
Upon review of your posting for an assignment editor to join your team at The Oakview Herald, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. As a dedicated news and communications professional with experience covering and assigning news and current events stories for reputable news publications, I am confident that I could outperform your expectations for this role.
My background lies in researching and assigning stories, editing article submissions, writing print and web articles, and motivating staff to produce energizing news content that can induce audience attention and invigorate participation and interest in current affairs. From generating new story ideas and delegating tasks to updating social media pages and networking with outside groups and agencies, I excel at facilitating all aspects of news information delivery through outstanding leadership and management talents.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Coordinating, assigning, and directing news, story, and article writing and coverage for up to 110 reporters for newspapers including The Gainesburg Gazette and Weekly Willamette while analyzing feedback to ensure superior reader experiences
- Leading dynamic staff meetings to brainstorm story ideas, determine story coverage, assign articles to writers, and coordinate photographers and news choppers appropriately
- Keeping staff up to date on all breaking news stories and assignments; posting online news updates throughout the day on evolving stories
- Proofreading and editing news copy to ensure flawless grammar and composition as well as compliance with all ethical and legal guidelines
- Maintaining a first-rate level of knowledge and expertise in national news topics, current events, local news, and cultural and global affairs
- Demonstrating excellent writing and time management skills, as well as the ability to excel within high-pressure, deadline-driven environments
- Earning a bachelor of arts in journalism from New York University in 2005
With my proven experience in spearheading the composition, assignment, and delivery of news and information – along with my tireless devotion to encouraging public involvement in cultural and political issues – I am positioned to significantly contribute to your team at The Oakview Herald. I look forward to discussing the position and my qualifications further.
Thank you for your consideration.
Laura K. Manges