Application Engineers are basically professionals who write new applications for software programs; thus, they are involved mainly in the upgrading of existing programs or the creation of new software. They are a source of support for sales forces, clients and customers in the operation of software products. Application Engineers are involved throughout the design, implementation, integration and maintenance of software applications. It is usually up to Application Engineers to train users, create manuals and other materials, provide phone support and solve any technical problems. Application Engineers can be employed by software development companies, IT departments or computer engineering firms.
In the following list, you will find the common skills and capabilities most often displayed by professional Application Engineers.
- Technical/diagnostic knowledge
- Proficiency in basic computer programs and systems
- Troubleshooting capabilities
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
Refer to the sample below to gain a better understanding of how these skills and qualifications can be discussed in an Application Engineer cover letter.
Dear Mr. Thompson:
I am interested in being considered for the vacant Applications Engineer position at Chortle Systems; to that end, I have enclosed my resume for review. As you will see, I have more than ten years' experience in the applications engineering field and I feel that I would bring a strong skill set and technical capabilities that would greatly benefit your company.
Throughout my career, I have been involved in software application development, troubleshooting, integration and ongoing support that has resulted in the successful design and implementation of applications for a wide range of users. By using well-developed troubleshooting, analytical, problem solving and customer service skills, I have effectively solved technical issues for in-house departments, vendors, clients, outside sales personnel and others in need of technical assistance.
I am a detail-oriented and results-driven individual who understands the importance of verbal and written communication skills and time management abilities to quickly assess and deliver application upgrades and installations to facilitate the needs of a company's customers and clients.
Below, I have outlined several career highlights that I feel best illustrate my ability to assume the role of Applications Engineer for Chortle Systems:
- Managed the development and maintenance of web applications for Wildfire Systems
- Oversaw a team of 8 technical support specialists for Downstream Technologies
- Led an integration team for all customer-specific software functions for Black Skylight Works
- Created all software application customer support materials for Hot Lotus Systems
- Certified Cisco Business Application Engineer Specialist
- Awarded Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from New Jersey Institute of Technology
I bring a strong focus on customer service and satisfaction as well as interpersonal skills that allows me to work with professionals and customers at all levels. I will continue to apply my leadership and managerial skills to your position to ensure that all support and design specialists work together to meet the integration and product support needs of Chortle Systems.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss your opening and your expectations as well as my qualifications in a personal interview and am available at your earliest convenience.
Thank you for your consideration.
Ryan N. Hilyard