Academic Librarian Cover Letter
Academic Librarians serve the members of an academic community by managing and disseminating information. Aside from resource loans, these professionals also manage aspects such as resource ordering, library projects, and specialist collections. Essential job duties of an Academic Librarian are managing book and journal collections, cataloguing information, using information software, assisting researchers, collaborating with library and school staff, liaising with suppliers, and participating in professional groups.
A successful cover letter sample for Academic Librarian usually mentions the following qualifications:
- Library operations knowledge
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of relevant software
- Organization and planning
- Logical thinking
- Time management
- Being able to work to strict deadlines and to prioritize work
- Familiarity with the academic environment
- Problem-solving orientation and resourcefulness
Those interested in an Academic Librarian position can check relevant skills and abilities in the cover letter sample provided just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Academic Librarian Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Marrero:
When I learned of Skylar University’s search for a new Academic Librarian, I hastened to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As a skilled, educated, and highly experienced professional with more than 16 years of experience in higher education library services, I am confident in my ability to surpass your expectations for this position.
My expertise lies in managing a full range of responsibilities to ensure optimal usability and functionality for university/college libraries. From cataloging books and conducting deep research to overseeing collection additions and managing staff, I excel at leveraging my commitment to library excellence and public service to make a substantial and positive impact. With my successful history of assisting and educating library users in research efforts, information acquisition, and materials location—along with my superior interpersonal and organization skills—I am ready to extend my record of excellence with Skylar University.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Oversaw all managing and instructional responsibilities for Pierce College and Reynolds University, respectfully, directing collection development of all library resources with an annual budget of up to $3.5M; supervised the Campus Library, Technology Lab, and Writing Centers at Reynolds University.
- Provided comprehensive support in delivering library service areas such as reference desk support, circulation, collection expansion, interlibrary loans, bibliographic support, and library instruction.
- Collaborated effectively with faculty on locating research materials, database querying, and assignment structuring tailored for each course.
- Taught students on the process of writing a college research paper utilizing the library’s resources.
- Utilized advanced information technology resources including internal / external databases, digital libraries, remote-access information sources, and the Internet to facilitate library user research, data acquisition, and materials location.
- Earned a Master’s degree in Library Science from the University of California, San Diego.
With my solid knowledge of academic library services and support, combined with my passion for the wealth of information and learning potential that libraries have to offer, I am positioned to significantly benefit your university. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in more detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Ruth T. Riley