University Lecturer Cover Letter
The main role of a University Lecturer is to teach specific subjects to higher education students in public or private universities or colleges. University Lecturers develop lesson plans, manage student portfolios, set assignments, deliver lectures, run seminars, administer exams and grade papers and tests. They also research their chosen area and work to publish articles in relevant academic publications. In many cases, University Lecturers, unlike those of professors or associate professors, are non-tenured and tenure-ineligible positions. University Lecturers must hold at least a master’s degree in their field; in some cases, a doctorate is preferred.
In the list below, you will find common abilities and skills that are often required of University Lecturers:
- Expertise in given subject area
- Oral and written communication skills
- Research skills
- Presentation skills
- Knowledge of basic computer systems
- Motivational skills
- Interpersonal abilities
- Organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
In the sample below, you will review how these particular skills and capabilities can be mentioned in a University Lecturer cover letter.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive University Lecturer Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Donovan:
I am sending my resume at this time to be considered for your vacant University Lecturer position, which I saw posted on your department website today. I bring extensive presentation, research and organizational skills that I have developed over my 10-year academic career as a lecturer at various colleges and universities throughout the northeastern U.S.
Over the past decade, I have filled lecturer roles in several areas of science, including biology, earth science and microbiology. My interpersonal and communication skills have allowed me to build strong relationships with administrators, professors, fellow lecturers and other faculty and administrative personnel, leading to the effective development of course syllabi, classroom materials and program improvements.
In addition, I have utilized effective presentation and motivational skills to successfully teach students about various scientific concepts. The effectiveness of my presentations is evident in exam scores and positive student feedback.
The list below provides a brief overview of my career achievements that I feel underscore my qualifications needed to become a valuable member of your faculty:
- Designed lesson plans for undergraduate biology courses for Allayne University
- Served as main University Lecturer in Microbiology for Newhart College
- Re-designed and maintained student data management system for earth science department of Miller State University
- Published 12 articles in academic and peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Awarded Master of Science in Biological Sciences from the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Awarded Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences from the University of Chicago
- D. candidate, Biology department of Boston University
I welcome the opportunity to discuss these qualifications at length and learn more about your position and institution. An interview can be arranged at your earliest convenience.
Thank you for your consideration.
Thomas J. Armstead