Retail Buyer Cover Letter
Retail Buyers select products to be sold in retail units based on customer demand, available budgets, store policies, and market trends. Essential job duties of a Retail Buyer include analyzing consumer behavior, forecasting future trends, monitoring performance indicators, writing reports, coordinating junior staff, negotiating prices and quantities, selecting suppliers, making sure supply meets demand, getting feedback from customers, and attending industry events.
The ideal candidate for a Retail Buyer position should mention the following job skills in their cover letter:
- Business acumen and commercial awareness
- Analytical thinking
- Networking and persuasion
- Good numeracy skills
- Computer competences
- Being able to work under pressure and deadline orientation
- Self-confidence and presentation skills
- Knowledge of retail operations
A typical Retail Buyer cover letter example demonstrating similar skills and experience can be consulted just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Retail Buyer Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Retail Buyer, check out our more complete Retail Buyer Job Description.
Dear Mr. McRae:
With the enclosed resume, I would like to express my sincere interest in the Retail Buyer position you have available with Atta Girl Apparel. As an organized and detail-oriented professional with experience researching products and coordinating purchase orders within the retail sector—as well as my superior negotiation and communication skills—I have the knowledge and skill set that will allow me to contribute toward the success of your establishment.
My background lies in successfully driving inventories, supplier negotiations, special projects, and daily operations to maximize purchasing efficiency and cost effectiveness. From analyzing consumer trends and maintaining adequate stock levels to liaising with suppliers and handling logistical issues, I have become adept in ensuring adherence to corporate objectives and requirements while facilitating streamlined purchasing operations. With these attributes in mind, coupled with my superb leadership and collaboration talents, I am ready to put my experience to work for Atta Girl Apparel.
I invite you to consider the following highlights of my achievements:
- Excelled throughout eight-year tenure as a Buyer with Forcefield Apparel, holding full responsibility for buying, product development, and purchasing for 35 stores across three product categories: junior apparel, women’s sportswear, and accessories.
- Skillfully planned, developed, and executed strategic marketing and promotional initiatives in conjunction with senior management, measurably increasing profits across each category mentioned above by 28%, 41%, and 19%, respectively, from ’12-‘15.
- Introduced a product development strategy which elevated quality, reduced cost to customer, and substantially boosted profit margins by hundreds of thousands of dollars over a five-year period.
- Completed RFPs and KPIs while minimizing risk and managing supplier and internal customer relationships.
- Earned continual promotions at Forcefield, from initial role as a Sales Associate to Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Assistant Buyer, and finally, Buyer.
- Communicated effectively with all levels of staff, from upper management to peers and direct reports, to ensure top-flight organizational efficiency.
My proven ability to optimize retail purchasing functions, along with my acute talents in research, analysis, and overall communication, will contribute immensely to the success of your buying team at Atta Girl.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Lola A. Beattie