Administration Assistant Job Description
The main function of Administration Assistants is to ensure the smooth operation of all administrative processes within their company. In support of Administration Managers and Secretaries, their goal is to help administrative processes be carried out in an effective and timely manner.
Employers that have administrative and office work often includes schools, hospitals, healthcare facilities, law offices and financial firms. Administration Assistants typically work in an office environment, but may be required to occasionally travel in order to attend meetings or run errands.
Administration Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
In order to increase efficiency and maintain open lines of communication, Administration Assistants perform a variety of tasks. We analyzed several online job postings to identify these core duties and responsibilities.
Supporting Managers and Employees
One of the major responsibilities of Administration Assistants is helping managers and employees find answers to administrative questions. This may involve locating records, checking schedules, researching names and dates and more.
Administration Assistants are sort of like the central calendar of an office. They use a master calendar filled with the combined appointments of all managers and employees to arrange meetings on appropriate dates and times.
In order to keep things organized, Administration Assistants must keep detailed records in a clear and well-maintained filing system
Whenever other members of their company need to go on business trips, Administration Assistants will be in charge of making the required travel arrangements, such as plane tickets, hotel reservations and rental car reservations.
Act as Point of Contact
To keep everyone connected, Administration Assistants are responsible for answering calls, replying to emails and facilitating communication both inside and outside of the company.
Prepare Reports and Documents
To ensure that there is a clear written record of all their company’s affairs, Administration Assistants must help prepare reports as well as write emails, memos, letters, faxes, forms and other documents.
Administration Assistant Skills
Successful Administration Assistants are energetic, highly organized individuals who are just as adept at talking with people as they are at coordinating complex schedules. They aren’t afraid to be outgoing and friendly, and they have a firm grip on their company’s logistics at all times. In addition to these general attributes and personality traits, employers are looking for Administration Assistants with the following skills and qualifications.
- Communication skills - Since they will be regularly communicating with colleagues at every level of the company as well as people outside the company (such as vendors and visitors), it’s imperative that Administration Assistants have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail - If meetings are scheduled at conflicting times or plane tickets have not been purchased in time, it will be the fault of the Administration Assistant. For this reason, Administration Assistants must have a high level of attention to detail
- Organizational skills - In order to keep track of all the meetings, schedules, appointments, phone calls and documents in their care, Administration Assistants need to have top-notch organizational skills
- Time management skills - Because Administration Assistants will be constantly juggling multiple tasks at one time, they need to be able to manage their time wisely as well as accurately prioritize their work
Administration Assistant Salary
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, which includes Administration Assistants, is $37,230. The lowest paid earn $22,930 or less per year, while the highest paid earn $62,230 or more per year. Administration Assistants in the District of Columbia, Massachusetts and Connecticut enjoy the highest annual salary in the U.S., earning $46,760, $44,430 and $42,120 per year respectively.
Administration Assistant Tools of the Trade
To successfully accomplish their daily tasks, Administration Assistants use a wide variety of tools. If you plan on becoming an Administration Assistant, make sure that you are familiar with the following.
- Recent versions of Microsoft Office software suites - Many of the programs included in Microsoft Office, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, will be invaluable tools to Administration Assistants
- Standard office equipment - Administration Assistants need to know how to properly use office equipment such as copiers, printers and scanners
- Telecommunications equipment - Since so much of their job revolves around communication, Administration Assistants need to be proficient with telecommunications equipment such as telephones and fax machines
- Scheduling software - In order to make sure that there are no conflicting appointments or forgotten meetings, Administration Assistants will usually need to use some type of scheduling software
Additional Administration Assistant Resources
To help you continue exploring your career as an Administration Assistant, we compiled the following collection of resources.
Administrative Assistant Office Professionals – Join this LinkedIn group of more than 150,000 members to connect with fellow Administration Assistants, network and share ideas
Administrative Assistant - Another LinkedIn group, also with more than 150,000 members, devoted to fostering communication and connection between Administration Assistants
American Society of Administrative Professionals – Also known as the ASAP, this association has a wealth of resources, and also offers educational and certification programs
Administrative Assistant’s and Secretary’s Handbook – From coordinating meetings and planning trips to preparing reports and managing phone calls, this book has everything an Administration Assistant needs to know
Administration Assistant Resume Help
Explore these related job titles from our database of hundreds of thousands of expert-approved resume samples: